Why Office Carpet Care and Maintenance Matters
Just like the paint colours, furnishings, textiles and lighting that you’ve so carefully chosen, the flooring in an office can go a long way towards creating a great first impression. Carpeted flooring can add warmth while also add a feeling of luxury, fun or comfort to your office space.
As the most used piece of décor in the office, the carpet and rugs in the space take a beating. Floor coverings are walked on almost constantly, particularly in very high-traffic entrance areas. All this daily wear and tear combined with office pets, spilled coffee, forgotten crumbs and mystery stains from that office party can all add up to one ugly carpet. A discoloured and flattened carpet affects the look and feel of your office space and can even turn off potential clients and visitors.
Clean Carpets Protect Employee Health
More than that, dirty carpets harbour dust and problem-causing allergens. Because office workers generally don’t kick their shoes off at the door, carpets in commercial buildings can be havens for germs, dust mites, and even the flu virus.
Employees who are sniffling, sneezing and suffering with poor air quality are also likely to be much less productive. Did you know that according to Stats Canada, in 2019, Vancouver-based workers were absent 7.9 days out of the year due to illnesses? Even if they are in the office, employees suffering from poor air quality likely can’t function at their best. Considering employees spent 40+ hours in the office every week and about 90% of their time indoors overall, indoor air quality is very important.
Thankfully, as well as creating a fresh, hygienic environment, regular carpet care can contribute to a healthier workplace overall.
10 Easy DIY Solutions Using Basic Products
If you’re between full carpet cleanings or just have a small stain to take care of, try these tips:
What you’ll need:
- Lint roller
- Baking soda
- Ice cubes
- Clean white towel
- Spray bottle
- Use a lint roller or a damp squeegee to pick up extra crumbs and hairs from carpet. This works great for office upholstery like waiting room chairs and sofas in the lounge areas.
- Vacuum slowly. If your office has a vacuum for quick jobs, pass slowly over each area 5-6 times to ensure you get as much of the ground in dirt and debris out as possible.
- Pre-treat stains with water and vinegar. Mix 3 parts water and 1-part vinegar then lightly spray onto the stain. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Always blot instead of rubbing. Blot a stain from the outside in, making sure to remove any solids before pre-treating the stain. This will keep the stain from spreading.
- Office pet had an accident? Baking soda can help. Sprinkle plenty of baking soda over the urine to absorb the smell. Let it sit for about 5 minutes and then blot before vacuuming.
- Use a 1:1 water/vinegar mixture to help fluff up flattened areas of carpet. Just spray onto the carpet and run a spoon sideways on the carpet to help bring the carpet fibers back to life.
- If you’ve moved the office furniture and are now looking at impressions in the carpet from where the chairs and desks once sat, try an ice cube. Put an ice cube on the dents and let them melt. Blot the water and once dry, use the spoon trick above to fluff up the fibers.
- For solid spills, scrape off as much of the solids as you can before adding any kind of cleaning product.
- Gum in the carpet? An ice cube can help with this one too. Hold an ice cube over the gum for a minute or so, or until the gum has hardened. Once it’s hard, you should be able to scrape most of it off the carpet.
- Mist lightly when spot-cleaning and always blot moisture from the carpet afterwards. Leaving damp spots can lead to mildew and mold growth in the carpet, carpet pad and flooring.
Commercial Carpets Require Commercial Cleaning Solutions
Regular cleaning and vacuuming are the best ways to extend the life of your carpets, particularly in high traffic areas like entrances. Choosing when and how often to clean your carpet is an individual decision, but there are some basic things to keep in mind, such as the colour, density, material and pile of the carpet.
Protect your investment. Regular carpet cleaning will keep the air free of allergens and toxins, creating a fresh, clean working environment. Remember that proper deep carpet cleaning requires the specialized equipment and training of a pro. Mayfair Building Service’s reliable and professional carpet cleaners are fully trained and have years of experience, certification and first-hand knowledge of our industrial equipment and solutions.
Looking for professional carpet care in the Lower Mainland (Vancouver, Langley, White Rock, Surrey, Burnaby & Coquitlam)? We will work with you to create a convenient cleaning schedule. You can choose carpet cleaning as a standalone service or as part of a regularly scheduled cleaning package. As well as commercial carpet cleaning, we offer commercial floor cleaning, full office cleaning, window cleaning and more. Contact Mayfair Building Services today for a free quote on any of these services.